Operación Abrigo Partnership
We partner with other local United Methodist churches to
send teams to build homes near Juarez, Mexico each year with Operación Abrigo. Operación Abrigo was founded in 1996 by Rev. Jose Luis Portillo in Tierra Neuva,
Mexico. Since then, over 7,000 homes, two churches, a medical clinic, and a
vocational school have been built to serve the poor in the community. The homes
are built of cinderblocks with a cement floor. Each team is led by maistros who
teach the team how to mix mortar and lay the blocks. The family often helps
build the home alongside the team. At the end of the weekend, the team and
family participate in a home dedication ceremony.
Check out the Operación Abrigo Website here.
How can I serve?
- Join us on our next Serve Trip in 2021!
- Contact Pastor Courtney for more information.
- Make a monetary donation to cover the cost of
the home. One home cost $3200.
- Make an in-kind donation for the team to take to
the family. (see list below)
- Provide a scholarship for another Serve Trip
traveler to cover their trip fee and/or airfare.
No craftsmen skills or experience are necessary to
participate. This trip is the perfect trip for those who want to experience
serving abroad for the first time. Teens are welcome when accompanied by a
parent/guardian. Cost is $150 plus airfare to/from El Paso (per person).
In Kind Donation Needs:
- Simple toys (bubbles, hot wheels cars, small
items as they have to be flown in suitcases)
- Spanish Bibles (children’s and adults’)
- Quilts (for the family receiving the home)