We partner with other local United Methodist churches to send teams to build homes near Juarez, Mexico each year with Operación Abrigo. Operación Abrigo was founded in 1996 by Rev. Jose Luis Portillo in Tierra Neuva, Mexico. Since then, over 7,000 homes, two churches, a medical clinic, and a vocational school have been built to serve the poor in the community. The homes are built of cinderblocks with a cement floor. Each team is led by maistros who teach the team how to mix mortar and lay the blocks. The family often helps build the home alongside the team. At the end of the weekend, the team and family participate in a home dedication ceremony.
Find More information about Operación Abrigo:
How Can I Help?
• Join us on our Next Trip! (Contact Pastor Joshua Manning at Joshua@grace380.org) for details.
• Make a monetary donation to cover the cost of the home. One home cost $3200.
• Make an in-kind donation for the team to take to the family. (see list below)
• Provide a scholarship for another Serve Trip traveler to cover their trip fee and/or airfare.
In Kind Donation Needs:
• Simple toys (bubbles, hot wheels cars, small items as they have to be flown in suitcases)
• Spanish Bibles (children’s and adults’)
• Quilts (for the family receiving the home)